Event Rules & Guidelines
The following event rules and guidelines are intended to help produce and direct a large scale event, to ensure the safety of all participants, to meet the requirements of local government permits and to be compliant with applicable UK Athletics and International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) regulations for participant performance records and event liability.
All entry fees are non-refundable and the MK Marathon retains the right to refuse entry to anyone declaring false information on their entry form, not making the required payment, or otherwise failing to meet the stated entry requirements.
- Each entrant must have their own my details account to enter an event.
- An email address is required for all entries. All correspondence will be via email. A separate email address for each participant is preferred but not required.
- Your email address will be passed to our official marathon photographers for the purpose of sending you a link to your official race certificate and your official race photos.
- Each entrant is automatically signed up to the marathon newsletter with training plans and event information. Entrants can opt out at any time by clicking unsubscribe on the bottom of our emails.
- Minimum age requirements…
- To register for the Marathon you must be 18 years of age or older on event day.
- To register for the Half Marathon you must be 17 years of age or older on event day.
- To register for the Marathon Relay you must be 17 years of age or older on event day.
- To register for the 10K you must be 15 years of age or older on event day.
- To register for the 5K you must be 13 years of age or older on event day.
- To register for the Superhero Fun Run you must be entered by someone over 18 or be entered as part of a group. You must be accompanied by an adult who has also entered the Superhero Fun Run if you are under 6 years of age.
- Each participant must agree to the disclaimer and terms & conditions before participating in the event.
- All participants take part at their own risk and a disclaimer waiving all claims against the MK Marathon and any party acting on its behalf must be completed by all entrants.
- Marathon registrants must be capable of completing the full distance, start line to finish line, within 6.30 hours (15 minute mile pace) i.e. the course will close at 15 minute mile pace.
- Half Marathon registrants must be capable of completing the full distance, start line to finish line, within 3.30 hours minutes (15 minute mile pace) i.e. the course will close at 15 minute mile pace.
- 5K registrants must be capable of completing the full distance, start line to finish line, within 45 minutes.
- The 10k and Superhero Fun Run do not have a course time limit.
- By taking part, all participants confirm that they are happy for their names and any footage or photographs taken during their participation to be used to publicise any Runners Base Ltd event.
- Participant race number bibs are specific personal identifiers and may not be exchanged with or transferred/ sold to any other person. Transfers between runners can only be done through the official website within the deadline of transfer displayed on the website. Sale and/or transfer of race entry/bibs are strictly prohibited and will result in the disqualification and/or banning of any individuals involved from future events.
- All participants must provide their full name and details of any health problems or medication upon entry in their my details account.
- All entry fees are non-refundable and may not be deferred toward a future event.
- Registration closure is determined and announced when event participation reaches the established capacity.
- No postal entries.
- Participants must follow instructions as given from all event officials including race staff, volunteers, medical personnel, security officers and city officials throughout the duration of the event.
- All participants are expected to conduct themselves in a professional and courteous manner during their participation in the event. This means, for example, that urinating or defecating anywhere on or near the course shall be strictly prohibited except in toilet facilities. Anyone violating this rule of conduct shall be disqualified from the event and will be asked to leave the course.
- Every participant shall be provided with an event bib number, which shall be conspicuously worn on the front during the event. The event bib number is to be worn as issued. No participant shall be permitted to participate in the event without the appropriate bib number.
- Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, nordic sticks, rollerblades, unauthorized bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted on the course.
- The marathon course will remain secured until the 15:00min/mile pace plus 20 minutes to cross the start line. Tail bikes will follow the runners at this pace. If you are passed by the tail bikes your status reverts back to that of a pedestrian. You be strongly advised against continuing when you reach the next hydration stop and there will be transport available to take you back to the stadium. If you do continue we will be unable to guarantee that road closures, marshals, signage and hydration stations will be in place. Before starting the race please give careful consideration to your ability to complete the course in the allotted time.
- All participants must acknowledge and agree that personal information (including medical information entered on registration or collected by event medical staff during or after the event) can be stored, used and disclosed by Runners Base Ltd in connection with the organisation, promotion and administration of the event and for the compilation of statistical information.
- Participants will be assigned to “coloured starting zones” in accordance with the runners predicted finish time. The front timing pen will be allocated on runner’s proof of qualifying time. Runners may update their predicted time via their registration page on the website on or before 1st April. No changes can be made after this date.
- Participants shall assemble for the race in their assigned “coloured starting zones” no less than 15 minutes prior to the race start. Any athlete attempting to enter the wrong timing pen shall be required to start after all other participants have crossed the start line.
- All participants shall enter the “coloured starting zones” from the stadium side of Saxon Street unless otherwise directed by an event official. Any person who climbs the fence/barrier or otherwise enters improperly shall be disqualified from the event.
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognized starting times.
- All participants must be positioned behind the starting line when starting.
- Any participant who refuses to obey the directions of the event official, city official or course marshal, or who conducts himself/herself in an unsportsmanlike manner, or who is offensive by action or language to officials, volunteers, participants or spectators may be disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in any Runners Base Ltd event at the discretion of race officials.
- Any participant who has been found by a course marshal, event official or surveillance equipment to have gained an unfair advantage by intentionally shortening the route of the race (“cutting the course”) shall be immediately disqualified from the event and banned from future participation in any Runners Base Ltd event at the discretion of race officials.
- Any person who participates in the event without a current official event bib number or timing device or a bib or chip not officially assigned to him/her is subject to removal and disqualification from future events.
- No persons are authorized to be on the course unless they are registered participants. Therefore, no person shall be allowed to accompany a participant if he/she is not registered in the event, nor shall any participant be allowed, without the permission of the event management, to receive assistance from anyone during the progress of the event. Any person not properly displaying an authorized and issued bib number shall be directed to leave the course.
- A hands-on medical examination during the progress of an event by officially designated medical personnel shall not be considered assistance and will not result in disqualification if participant is deemed medically fit. If a participant becomes ill during or after the event and/or receive medical attention or treatment either from event medical staff, first aid team or any doctor or hospital, they must authorise such persons to provide details (including details of medical treatment) to the medical director of the MK Marathon or others authorised by him/herself.
- The use of wheeled devices by participants or any other person authorized to be on the course shall be strictly limited to (a) authorized course marshals on bicycles. Baby joggers, baby strollers, skateboards, rollerblades, unauthorized bicycles or any other wheeled device will not be permitted.
- This event is not suitable for wheelchairs.
- This event is run under UK Athletics rules.
- Headphones Policy…
- Rocket 5k: Anyone who is not running for a prize can wear headphones at their own risk. If you do wear headphones PLEASE be considerate of your fellow runners. Wearing headphones DOES impair your hearing and there is every chance that you will not be able to hear important instructions, emergency services, or a fellow runner. If you must wear in ear headphones, please leave one out!
- 10K / Half / Marathon / Relay: We hold this race under British / UK Athletics road race rules and regulations. From 1 April 2016 a new rule regarding the wearing of head phones in road races was introduced into the 2016-2018 edition of the UKA Rules of Competition. UKA have agreed that the use of bone conductor type headphones is acceptable, but NO OTHER types of headphones/earphones but these will be allowed. Anyone seen wearing headphones/earphones (excluding bone conductor headphones) will be disqualified from the race. Sorry, we know it is not fun but your safety means more to us.
- Participants are responsible for their recognition and understanding of event signage, symbols and colour relating to participant maps, facilities and direction.
- Medical personnel authorized by the event to do so may examine any participant who appears in distress. If in the sole opinion of authorized medical personnel it is in the best interest of the participant’s health and welfare, medical personnel may remove the participant from the event.
- Participants must retire at once from race if ordered to do so by a member of the event’s official staff, official medical staff, or any governmental authority, including fire and police officers.
- Participants are responsible and assume liability for any and all medical expenses incurred as a result of training for and/or participation in the event, including but not limited to ambulance transport, hospital stays, physician and pharmaceutical goods and services.
- Event officials reserve the right to delay, cancel, or suspend the race due to inclement weather in accordance with emergency protocol on severe emergencies and/or inclement weather. No refund will be issued in these circumstances.
- No refund will be issued if the event is cancelled due to a designated infectious or communicable disease or a threat or fear thereof, leading to quarantine or travel advisory or warning.
- The organiser has no liability for any loss of travel or accommodation costs that the runner may incur.
- All participants are assigned a disposable chip timing device. Fitting instructions will be in the race guide. You do not need to return your chip if you are unable to run.
- Clock time (gun time) is the official time for the prize giving. The official times shall be recorded from the start of the race by the starting gun to the point where the participant crosses the finish line. Times shall be rounded to the next highest second.
- Course record (CR) or world record (WR) time if broken by more than one individual is awarded solely to the overall male/female winner.
- Official times for mass participants will be the electronic timing device time (chip time) from when the participant crosses the start line to the point where the participant crosses the finish line.
- Participants must wear their assigned timing device continuously from start line to finish line, to receive an accurate finish time.
- Participants found to be wearing two or more timing devices during the race will be disqualified and their results will not be recorded.
- Participants with missing timing device times at official checkpoints will be reviewed and may be disqualified.
- Participants must begin the event during the official recognized starting time in order to register an official course completion time.
- Any individual requesting a waiver of any of these rules from the event shall submit a written request no less than 30 days prior to the event date specifying the nature of and reasons for the request.
Amendments / Reservations / Acknowledgements
- Event officials reserve the right, to modify, supplement or waive all or part of the event rules.
- Participants shall be bound by any modification or supplement of the event rules published prior to the event.
- Failure to follow these event rules, as may be amended, will result in immediate disqualification, loss of prize money and removal from official results.
- The MK Marathon follows, and participants are subject to, the rules specified by the UK Athletics. Please visit ukathletics.org for additional information concerning the rules mandated by the governing body for the sport.
Merchandise Returns Policy
If for any reason you are not satisfied with your merchandise you may return it within 15 days for exchange or refund providing the goods are unused and have all original tags. We are unable to accept back any goods that have been worn or laundered, unless they are faulty. Postage charged at the time of sale is non-refundable. Any return postage is covered by the customer.
Please send returned goods to: MK Marathon, MK:TWO Business Centre, 1 Barton Road, Bletchley, MK2 3HU. Please include a short note stating why you are returning the item. If you want a different size please include your return address.
In order to run the MK Marathon event runners agree the following disclaimer and to the terms & conditions:
“I declare I will abide by the age limits set for the event and will abide by the laws and rules of UK Athletics. I declare that I will not compete in the race unless I am medically fit on the day of the race and that, in any event, I will compete at my own risk. I accept that the organisers, sponsors, partners, marshals will not be liable for any loss, damage, action, claim, costs or expenses, which may arise in consequence of my participation of the event. I also hereby give my permission to Runners Base Ltd to use my name, quotes, video and photographic likeness for marketing and promotional purposes. I also understand that entry fees are non refundable under any circumstances. I also agree to the terms and conditions before I run the MK Marathon event.”